Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Poem!

At the very outset, I must honestly confess one thing! I have got a student of class V from Kendriya Vidyalaya, Dumdum. To-day evening he came to me for tuition. His to-day's subject was ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE! He is a sweet boy with more than average intelligence, named SAYAK MAZUMDAR, alias BANTUL. He was visibly enthusiast, when I told him that I am going to write about the ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE in a blog. He immediately copied a poem from his book and gave it to me to post.
I liked it very much. So, for the first installment of this Himalayan task entrusted on me, I am starting with that poem!

DO YOU KNOW THIS?
From South America
long ago!
came a tomato,
a potato
and a green chili.

Do you know this?

A cabbage came
from Europe,
and also a pea.

From Africa
came a coffee bean,
and a green VINDI*.

They crossed the land.
They crossed the sea.

Do you know this?

A mango sang,
Come in! Come in!
An orange smiled
inside its skin.
"WELCOME TO INDIA"
A banana said.

The methi* and the spinach*
brinjal* and radish*
nodded its head
Do you know this?


----by RAJESH UTSHAT
Chakmal, May- June 2002
(translated by Anupa Lal)



* VINDI-It is known as OKRA(African term) in the rest of the world excepting India, where its English Synonym is Ladie's finger

*Methi- Fenugreek.

* Spinach- Sag ( a leafy vegetable).

* Brinjal- Egg plant as known as in rest of the world!

*Radish - Muli.


Good night for to day!

1 comment: