Tuesday, August 25, 2009

HOW SWAMIJI CAME TO MY LIFE

I was born at RAJSAHI, a town from erstwhile undivided Bengal. My father Late Ramnarayan Bhattacharya was a great scholar of repute in Sanskrit, English and Philosophy. A gold medalist, his record marks in MA (BHU) are still to be broken. So, I was brought to Varanasi, and thereafter via MAHISADAL (a small town in WB) I was at Parlakhemundi a bordering town of Orissa & Andhra, with my parents. Parlakhemundi is in Orissa. Father was brought to Sree Krushna Chandra Gajapati College, as a professor in Philosophy by the Raja of Parlakhemundi, Sree Krushna Chandra Gajapati himself. My father had a huge recommendation from the Raja of MAHISADAL, Sree Debprasad Garga. My father had this recommendation due to his pedanticity and also for the great ancestral scholastic background he had. We are the descendent of the Great GADHADHAR BHATTACHARYA, (17th century) post-Shiromani Nyaya philosopher. He was born in Nabadwip, WEST BENGAL, son of Jivacharya, a follower of TANTRICISM. GADHADHAR BHATTACHARYA’S annotations played a vital role in the practice of Nyaya philosophy, as it was almost impossible to understand the meaning of the original text without explanations.

GADHADHAR BHATTACHARYA acquired a Shiva Linga, which he got by the order of Shiva in a dream, as it goes in my family. Naturally the art of Pujas & other spiritual aptitudes was in our blood.

Now, in my childhood days I was a very mischievous (still continuing) boy, 7-8 years old with no intention to read any books, what to speak of text books! As I was the eldest son of the family, my father left no stone unturned to attract towards studies, but all efforts were in vein! Even story books, given to me was unread by me with the logic in my mind that this is also a kind of reading & education. I was uncontrollable at my house, and my father at last decided to take me to the college during his lectures, so that in my absence; my mother could accomplish her household duties. Sree Krushna Chandra Gajapati College had a huge library with many books in its collection, written in many languages. Father is to leave me in the huge library during his stay in the college, under the supervision of the librarian.
Unfortunately I may not name correctly the librarian, most probably Mr. K. Patnaik an ORIYA gentleman, who was capable of speaking, reading and writing in Bengali as he spent some of his student life in CALCUTTA(Now: - KOLKATA). I used to tease him in possible manners I could invent. He was a very patient guy and always had a smiling face and bore my torture. Mr. K. Patnaik was a very good story teller and he had a magical flair of story telling. I was attracted very slowly towards him.
Mr. K. Patnaik once told me: - Go to the field, and play football. You don’t read any books, so you lack exercises, while seating here. If you play football you will sweat and forget everything! This was an advice of my liking and I started playing football in the big playground attached to the college. Many senior students joined me. (Later on I came to know why Mr. K. Patnaik said so!)
Then came a day, when respected Mr. K. Patnaik, showed me one book in Bengali. There was a black and white picture of a monk on the cover, whose eyes seemed glittering to me. The book was “Vivekananda for young ones” written in Bengali. Mr. K. Patnaik, told me- you are not interested in reading I suppose, so I am not going to share this book to you. I was not bothered. But the black and white picture began haunting me. Few days after, I told him to speak about the monk. Mr. K. Patnaik went on speaking about the monk and I was speechless! His way of deliberating was marvelous! (It may be understatement!). I was enchanted and asked for the book. Mr. K. Patnaik was amazed! He told: - Really! He murmured: - Let the divine intervention be there in your life! Jai Ramakrishna!!!! I was shocked! Why he is taking my name? (So idiot I was and still remaining). I was able to see his joy, but not able to sift and quantify it. Unknowingly I embarked a ship of the GREAT MAN, which I am not still able to span that embankment, which Mr. K. Patnaik helped to do so. By the time I mate Mr. K. Patnaik, I did not know that he was maintaining a strict abstention from meat, fish, and alcohol. How could it be? A boy of 7-8 years does not know what BRAMHACARJA is! What is alcohol!!! I was lost!
I asked my father: - What is GOD? He smiled and said: - If we know that, we are through. What is BRAMHACARJA? His answer was: - Do you think, you will be able to read SAKHESPERE by learning A, B------Z? Go and read anything on this subject you want. First try yourself, and then come to me!
I was shifted to my Maternal Grandfather’s place in Calcutta (Now Kolkata) to be admitted in a school. Now there was a vast difference in food culture and other cultures here at my Maternal Grandfather’s place.
1. My father used to take sun dried rice, but my Maternal Grandfather used to take boiled rice, which was much testier to me.
2. My father was a strict vegetarian (even not onion & garlic) but my Maternal Grandfather was strict Non –Veg.
3. My eldest maternal uncle was a communist.

Now through my eldest maternal uncle I came across a very big leader of erstwhile undivided Communist Party. I promised him not to disclose his name, so I am not disclosing his name although he has passed away a long time back
He told me a true story in his own way: - “Once a Great Hindu monk was traveling in a ship. As the journey was time consuming, he used to have gossiping with his brother disciples who were accompanying HIM. At times they used to burst into laughter. A reverend who was a co-passenger on that ship, asked that Great Hindu monk: - Are you that Great Hindu monk who deliberated lectures on Hinduism in Chicago? Great Hindu monk answered: - I don’t know whether I am a Great Hindu monk or not. But, yes! I deliberated lectures on Hinduism in Chicago. You are diluting yourself by making this type of humour and laughing!-said the reverend. The Great Hindu monk answered: - Can your GOD laugh? I don’t know- said the reverend. Look if your GOD can laugh I believe HIM, if HE doesn’t I don’t believe HIM- The Great Hindu monk answered.”
I asked the leader (I used to call him Mama): - Who was that The Great Hindu monk?
Mama told- Wait! I am narrating the sequel!
“The Great Hindu monk, by the virtue of his sweet behaviour, became chummy with the reverend in the long voyage. One day, he told the reverend, if you impose something which general people don’t like the out come is not fruitful. The reverend asked-Why? The Great Hindu monk replied: - Once in a small village in Great Britain, there came a Reverend in the only & one Church in that village. He imposed that no drinking will be allowed by anybody in the village; the inhabitants were sorry but maintained the statutory warning of the respected reverend. Now one day the reverend decided to go to the nearest town which was bit far from the village. A river was there in between. Generally if some one goes to the town, one will be back, in not less than 2 days. All the village people were happy and decided to have a cocktail party in the village head’s house in the night. Accordingly all arrangements were made and the party was in full swing in the night. Suddenly the Reverend burst open the door and came in!!! (Later on it was known that he could not go due to the flood in the river.)
The entire people present over there were flabbergasted. At last the village head as-well-as host went in a tipsy mood to him and asked: - Sir, Do you like to have tea?
Reverend- No tea!!!
Host- Sir, Then please have some coffee!
Reverend- No coffee!!!
The host was back to the wall with no wall to his back.
He asked –Sir, then please have a peg of whisky!
Reverend- No SODAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I asked Mama- Who was this Great Hindu monk? Mama told that, HE was Swami Vivekananda. I told mama you are a communist! And you know Him? If you don’t know Him then any movement is incomplete, came the reply. Swamiji also told: - STRENGTH IS LIFE, WEEKNESS IS DEATH. We require strength to have movements and that is life.
Swami Vivekananda was a down to earth man. HE told that, “SUDRA JAGARAN” will be there and that is nothing but the movement and awakening of the down trodden class and that is what we do!-said mama.
Latter on, in my life time I tried in vein to read the Swamiji’s works. One thing struck into my mind that He was not only a teacher, preacher, but also a management GURU. Bapuji, Sree Aravinda, they were great men, no doubt, but The BELUR MATH is still colourful and vibrant after 140 odd years. Yearly near about 100-120 Sanyasis are coming out regularly.
Another thing, a complete Biography of this Great Monk is yet to come out. Probably, till today nobody dared to span the vast works & achievements, which Swamiji could accomplish in a span of 39 years only!
At last, I will end with one thing. The headline of this writing should not have been HOW SWAMIJI CAME TO MY LIFE, but it should have been HOW SWAMIJI IS COMING TO MY LIFE or for that matter coming to everybody’s life!!! HE is not Past tense but always Present Continuous tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment